On 1/20/23 18:15, Niel Fourie wrote:

[...]

Same question as in V1 below.

+static int _usb_eth_start(struct ether_priv *priv)
+{
+       unsigned long timeout = USB_CONNECT_TIMEOUT;
+       struct eth_dev *dev = &priv->ethdev;
+       unsigned long ts;
+ if (!dev->gadget)
+               return -1;
+
+       dev->network_started = 0;

Will this work on systems which already have netconsole active ? I think this would break the netconsole connection, since the network would be reinitialized, won't it ?

I would expect this assignment to be in _init and _stop , not in _start callback.

But I wonder whether the current ethernet uclass interface running code does not make the entire network_started mechanism obsolete. See the patch which you referenced previously in related patch:

fa795f45254 ("net: eth-uclass: avoid running start() twice without stop()")