Hi Nikhil,

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 at 02:13, Nikhil M Jain <n-ja...@ti.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> On 16/03/23 10:10, Nikhil M Jain wrote:
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > On 15/03/23 19:38, Simon Glass wrote:
> >> Hi Nikhil,

> >> Yes that really is terrible. It should be under a second for U-Boot
> >> proper!
> >>
> >> Have you tried using bootstage to report the numbers?
> >>
> > No I haven't used the bootstage, I will use it to get the numbers.
> >
> Boot stage logs
> link: https://gist.github.com/NikMJain/beb60fe42b1e89829cdd5b8713284330
>

> >> Have you tried using tracing to figure out what is wrong? Is it just
> >> slow storage?
> >>
> > U-boot proper comes up in one sec but the splash display is called
> > through stdio_add_devices which is late in the board_init_r sequence
> > defined in board_r.c.
> >  >> Regards,
> >> Simon
> >
> > Thanks
>
> On AM62x we have multi-stage boot first R5 SPL comes up then A53 SPL and
> u-boot proper, due to which splash screen at u-boot proper takes over 2
> sec. On AM62x we have an aggressive requirement for an early splash
> screen. Hence we are moving splash screen support to SPL., which will
> bring splash screen time to approx 600 ms.
>
> We also want to support falcon boot mode from A53 SPL, we have customers
> who don't want u-boot proper in production boot flow and still require
> splash screen, the only way to support it is to add  splash screen at SPL.
>
> u-boot logs with splash screen timings, measurement through
> timer_get_boot_us at u-boot proper and SPL.
> link: https://gist.github.com/NikMJain/3be0b6c92092678b6aec8e5fdbc46a98

I think it would be worth looking at what is taking so long. Could you
add bootstage in there (which supports SPL as well) and produce a
final report? Is BL31 taking a while?You can use
bootstage_start()/bootstage_accum() to collect time on MMC loading,
etc. even if you don't want to enable CONFIG_TRACE.

This is an important area that will affect a lot of boards. If it
takes 2 seconds to get into U-Boot, everyone is going to want to avoid
it.

Regards,
Simon