Hi Simon, Nishanth

On 24/08/23 08:57, Nishanth Menon wrote:
On 21:01-20230823, Simon Glass wrote:
Hi Nishanth,

On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 at 18:18, Nishanth Menon <n...@ti.com> wrote:

On 17:57-20230823, Simon Glass wrote:
[...]
This is how we have a common bit of rST for how to build N boards,
without having to do a literal copy and paste N times.

How about using this?

https://docutils.sourceforge.io/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#substitution-definitions

I was not able to succeed with complex includes such as:
https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/doc/board/ti/am62x_sk.rst?plain=1#L89

am62x complete build procedure defined once and reused in other am62x
platforms.. But the am62x build procedure itself is reused from common
k3 build steps.

I followed through these instructions. I find the env vars quite
confusing, since I don't really know what it is doing. It feels like a
script:

do $a $b $c
do $f $e

it is pretty hard to follow. I think it would be better to write
everything out in full for each board, like rockchip does.

Unfortunately, this is a few major steps that is repeated for
(currently):
        AM62x SK
        Toradex Verdin
        (pending: beagleplay - )
        (once all the dust clears up, hopefully phytec)
        SK-LP

I have no reasonable way to offer to keep them all in sync.
        https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/u-boot/2023-07-26#34662854;
is kind of why I went down this path.S

Some other minor feedback:

- The 'make' lines should really have -j $(nproc) added

Different styles of shells..

- The $ signs at the start of each command in the docs are a pain
since it stops me copying the commands into the terminal - can you
remove them?

hehe.. "dont" let people blindly copy paste without understanding what is
going on argument?

If folks are OK, I sure can send a different patch series for that.. (or
maybe motivate someone to do that instead of me ;))

- It doesn't build for me:

   BINMAN  .binman_stamp
Image 'ti-dm' is missing external blobs and is non-functional: blob-ext

/binman/ti-dm/blob-ext (ti-dm/am62xx/ipc_echo_testb_mcu1_0_release_strip.xer5f):
    Missing blob

Some images are invalid
make[1]: *** [/scratch/sglass/cosarm/src/third_party/u-boot/files/Makefile:1115:
.binman_stamp] Error 103
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/b/play'
make: *** [Makefile:177: sub-make] Error 2

^^ Neha: This is what I was complaining about.

https://u-boot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/board/ti/am62x_sk.html?highlight=am62#sources

source: https://git.ti.com/git/processor-firmware/ti-linux-firmware.git
is missing, we never used to break build previously binman converted now does.

I am wondering if I need to explicitly call out git clone instructions
out..

Right... this does seem to be a complaint that keeps coming up.

Simon, my intention at the time of sending out the patch was that anyone building the board should "not NOT" have the DM binary. The way we structured the filename was that it looks at BINMAN_INDIRS to find ti-dm/ipc_echo_testb_mcu1_0_release_strip.xer5f but I guess this is a confusing way to put it across. Maybe we should rework that. Or not throw an error at all when DM isn't found.

--
Thanking You
Neha Malcom Francis