On 11/2/23 3:55 AM, Francesco Dolcini wrote:
Hello Andrew,

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 03:35:28PM -0500, Andrew Davis wrote:
Currently each set of board targets from a vendor is selected inside
the board directory for that vendor. This has the problem of multiple
targets, one from each vendor, being selectable at the same time.
For instance you can select both TARGET_AM654_A53_EVM and
TARGET_IOT2050_A53 in the same build.

To fix this we need to move the target board choice to a common location
for each parent SoC selection. Do this in arch/arm/mach-k3.

Is this oddity specific of ti k3 based board or is this a generic issue
in u-boot? Asking to understand if a k3-specific fix is the correct one
here.

Some platforms/archs do it this way, others don't, so it is mixed. Right
now I'm just fixing mach-k3 but I agree it would be good to audit for this
u-boot wide.

Thinking more on this, what we really need is a consistent strategy for
selecting target boards in Kconfig. I'd like to keep as much vendor
specific stuff in the board/<vendor> dirs, but in this case we end up
with the problem in the commit message.

I think arch/x86/ has the right idea. We can have in arch/arm/mach-k3/Kconfig

config VENDOR_*

selections which lets you choose only one vendor. From there we would
only include the one board directory matching that SoC+vendor combo.
That way we could keep the target selection down in the board/ dirs so
you don't have to make changes in arch/arm/mach-k3 when adding new board.

If everyone is okay with that, I can make that change to this series.
Could be a template then for other arch and vendors.

Andrew