Hi Raymond,

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 at 12:25, Raymond Mao <raymond....@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> When `OF_BOARD` is defined, the FDT should be from one of  the board-specific
> mechanisms:
> 1. FDT from a bloblist via boot args
> 2. FDT in memory
> I don't think we need a new build option to distinguish these two, since it
> can be done in runtime by checking whether the boot args follow the FW
> Handoff spec conventions and the FDT exists in the bloblist.

No, I would really like this to be deterministic, so we can fail if
something goes wrong. The bloblist should be 'declared' as the way to
boot, for a board.

If in the future all boards a reusing bloblist for this feature, then
sure, we can drop it. But we have things like rpi which do their own
thing.

> If it fulfills the above conditions, we can take the FDT from bloblist,
> otherwise from the predefined memory address.
> This is fully backward compatible without adding a new build option.

Again, we need to obtain the FDT from the bloblist if and only if the
board requires it. It creates a lot of confusion to have it as an
optional feature, when we know which way it should be.

Ultimately OF_BOARD should go away. We just need to push bloblist to
other projects and closed-source firmware as the correct way to pass a
DT.

Regards,
Simon
[.]