> On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 06:19:54PM +0200, Jerome Forissier wrote:
> > - Make the support of HTTPS in the wget command easier. Javier T. (CC'd)
> > has some additional lwIP and Mbed TLS patches to do so. With that it
> > becomes possible to fetch and launch a distro installer such as Debian
> > etc. directly from the U-Boot shell.
>
> Why this is enabling this use case? Or it is just that currently,
> without TLS, is not supposed to be something you should do?
> I am a little bit confused reading this sentence, since to me this is
> already possible using tftp.

A lot of companies don't want to run tftp any more when http(s) is
more straight forward, especially when used outside of the data
centre, it can be cached/proxied etc and has a bunch of other benefits
before you even get to things like security and auth. Also a lot of FW
vendors are starting to drop PXE/TFTP support in standards due to
various things like standards requirements from governments.

Peter