Hi Sughosh,

On Fri, 27 Sept 2024 at 05:01, Sughosh Ganu <sughosh.g...@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sept 2024 at 16:12, Simon Glass <s...@chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sughosh,

> > The issue is, again, that we never actually identified the problem to
> > be solved at the beginning. So we are suffering somewhat now from a
> > lack of clarity. But in any case, let me try to respond to the points
> > you raise.
> >

> > > How do we get rid of using efi_allocate_pages() in U-Boot ? This
> > > function is used, among other things, to allocate memory used for
> > > Are you proposing using malloc() even for loading EFI images ?
> >
> > We actually don't use efi_allocate_pages() to load things into memory,
> > or at least I hope we don't. We should be using lmb. No, we cannot use
> > malloc() for loading images as the region is quite small on many
> > boards. Heinrich mentioned it can be as small as 1-2MB on some. Also,
> > it isn't really what malloc() is designed for.
>
> So you are proposing using lmb for loading images. And that is
> precisely what this series is doing -- changing the
> efi_allocate_pages() function so that it calls the lmb API's to get
> the memory. So then I wonder why are we not on the same page ? Yes, I
> understand that you have a differing view when it comes to
> efi_allocate_pool(), but the changes to the efi_allocate_pages() done
> in this series are exactly what you refer to above.
>

> > > Moreover, the syncing of the memory maps is currently needed primarily
> > > as we support printing the EFI memory map through a command. And I
> > > mentioned in one of my earlier replies that not syncing the changes in
> > > the LMB memory map with the EFI module would mean that the EFI memory
> > > map would have to be generated afresh whenever there is a need for the
> > > EFI memory map -- this would be either when requested from an EFI app,
> > > or when a user asks through a command. Re-generating the EFI memory
> > > map is not a trivial task, and syncing the changes in the LMB map as
> > > and when they happen is much easier.
> >
> > Yes I have seen you make this point and I am sorry I didn't reply
> > directly. The thing is, we don't care about the EFI memory until we
> > boot the app. After all, it is only the app that actually needs it.
> >
> > I see that 'efi_init_obj_list()' is called by the efidebug command, so
> > yes, it should show the memory map.
> >
> > But in my view of the world the memory map (before an app boots and
> > does what it likes in terms of allocations, etc.) consists solely of:
> >
> > 1. U-Boot's memory (malloc() space, code, bloblist, stack,
> > arch-specific stuff, etc.)
> > 2. Images that were loaded (which are in lmb)
> >
> > Since we need to handle (1) by manually adding records to the EFI map,
> > it isn't a big stretch to handle (2) with a for-loop through the lmb
> > records.

> So the difference here is, unlike the way the LMB memory map gets
> stored and shown, i.e. a separate entry for the total available
> memory, and then a separate list of currently allocated entries, the
> EFI memory map storage is designed in a different way. The
> [...]

Look, I certainly understand your frustration and I share it.

I would like to see progress on the series i sent, which moves pool
allocations to use malloc(). I would also like to see the EFI test
applied, which has been held up for a long time (perhaps the latest
version will be OK) I did discuss this with Tom and was OK with your
first series on the basis that we can figure out the next step after
that. But I never believed that the problem to be solved was that lmb
and EFI were not deeply integrated and I was expecting to have made
some progress on the malloc() issue by now.

I should also point out that no one else dug into this to understand
what was really going on (that EFI was allocating stuff where it
shouldn't, i.e. in space that is supposed to be used by lmb). I had an
inkling of it but had never spent the time to really understand it.

My current view on EFI memory is that, just before launching the app
(or firmware update, or whatever), we should be able to call
efi_memory_init(), which adds the known memory, the U-Boot regions and
the images it knows about. Only the last piece is missing today. As to
that, we need to clean up the EFI hack and maintain a list of images
and which device they came from, so that the EFI loader can find that
out. It isn't just about lmb.

So I hope you can understand that, coming from that point of view, all
this stuff about keeping things in sync doesn't seem right.

Regards,
Simon