Hi,

On Wed, 2 Oct 2024 at 09:54, Tom Rini <tr...@konsulko.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2024 at 11:13:14AM -0400, Sean Anderson wrote:
> > On 10/2/24 05:25, Quentin Schulz wrote:
> > > Hi Alexander,

> > > There are basically less than 3 working days left before v2024.10 is
> > > released and I'm inclined to say this is annoying rather than a bug, so I
> > > am not entirely sure this will 1) make it in time if we agree on a fix
> > > (needs to include review process in those 3 working days) 2) be
> > > acceptable for a late addition in the release cycle. Let's try though,
> > > maybe we can figure something out.
> >
> > This is a bug. Printing this many messages will have a major impact on boot
> > times.
> >
> > A config going from "may print out a few more lines of extra info" to
> > "firehose"
> > is very surprising to users (as evidenced by Alexander's email).
> >
> > If you can't figure out which lines to disable, I recommend simply
> > reverting the
> > patch.
>
> Checking this myself too, no platforms enable this by default. So I
> believe we do need to improve the situation here, but I don't think we
> need to revert this for release.

I think the problem is that the dm_warn() thing went a bit too far.

For example, ofnode_read_u8() should not warn unless something goes
wrong, but when it was log_debug() it would show everything.

So in that case, the first and last dm_warn() should change back to
log_debug(). The middle one should be expanded to show the node name
and (strictly speaking) it should only show the node name if _DEBUG is
0. Eek.

Not a release-blocker IMO, but it does suggest that adding a CI test
for DM_WARN would be useful. We have a few of these already, e.g.
'sandbox_noinst with LOAD_FIT_FULL test.py'

Regards,
Simon