On Tuesday 07 February 2012 02:36 AM, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
Le 06/02/2012 12:37, Aneesh V a écrit :
When U-Boot/SPL is built using the Thumb instruction set the
toolchain has a potential issue with weakly linked symbols.
If a function has a weakly linked default implementation in C
and a real implementation in assembly GCC is confused about the
instruction set of the assembly implementation. As a result
the assembly function that is built in ARM is executed as
if it is Thumb. This results in a crash.

We need to investigate further to see if this is a toolchain
issue or an issue with our usage of it. In the meanwhile, we
can workaround the issue by having both the weakly linked alias
and the real implementation in C.

I would tend to NAK a patch submission where an issue is known and
investigation is considered but is actually bypassed by a workaround.
These tend to turn from 'temporary fix' to 'old crust' with time,
because there is no incentive for a better solution when the quick fix
"works, after all".

Fair enough. I did actually report this to Linaro a long time back and
they had started looking into it. But then I couldn't support it
further due to some other activities that pre-empted it. I plan to
revive that thread now and I shall copy you on that. But in case the
issue is root-caused and the problem is indeed with the tool-chain,
then I hope you will accept this patch at least in the interest of
backward compatibility.

Also, I hope you don't object to taking the first patch, after fixing
the comments?

Thanks,
Aneesh