For the beagleboard, ecc.size is not explicitly set when doing 'nandecc sw'. If it's not set for the NAND_ECC_SOFT case in nand_scan_tail, it's set to 256 bytes.

When doing 'nandecc hw', ecc.size is set to 512 bytes. Hence, when changing back to 'nandecc sw' ecc.size remains at 512 bytes and suddenly the format has changed.

It seems the current nandecc command needs to set this explicitly, but also needs to be augmented to be able to select the newly added 4/8-bit BCH ECC.

But it also seems like nandecc selection should be more generic than for omap3 (currently it lives in arch/arm/cpu/armv7/omap3/board.c).

I have seen that TI did some work on this previously in the PSP04.02.00.07 release of u-boot and linux (2.6.37).

Is there ongoing work in this area?  I'd be happy to help out if I can.

(I noticed the nand dump.oob seems to have been fixed in the u-boot-nand-flash repo.)

Thanks,
Orjan

--
Orjan Friberg