Am 23.04.2012 20:30, schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
Dear Matthias,

In message<4f959612.7040...@arcor.de>  you wrote:

Because you will have the same address for "physical memory" in all
instances of sandbox u-boot. This could simplify test scripts a bit.
Imagine testing tftp downloads to memory where DRAM bank->  start is
different for every program run. This was a PITA for me while testing
the tap ethernet simulation for sandbox. And that is why I came up with
the patch.

Agreed - though I would expect the mapping at least to be consistent
through all runs of the same binary image.

This would be the case as long as the u-boot image is run without ASLR which can be achieved by running it using setarch

Or is there something like $(ramstart) in u-boot?

Not yet - but it would be trivial to add.

And would fix the issue without any problems introduced by hinted mmap or an "address translation layer". But ramstart would be different on every run of the binary if ASLR is active.

--
Matthias