On 05/09/2012 12:44 AM, Thomas Weber wrote:
Hello Tom & Peter,

On 05/08/12 19:29, Tom Rini wrote:
As originally reported against beagleboard we currently have the
following error message reported in SPL:

U-Boot SPL 2012.04-00020-gb8310b9-dirty (Apr 25 2012 - 18:49:57)
Texas Instruments Revision detection unimplemented
OMAP SD/MMC: 0
timed out in wait_for_bb: I2C_STAT=1000
reading u-boot.img

The reason for above message is that when booting from MMC, I2C needs to
be initialized to talk with the TWL4030. On OMAP3 I2C is only
initalized in SPL if CONFIG_SPL_BOARD_INIT is set.
On Tricorder there is no such message. I thought the I2C to TWL4030 is
initialized by the ROM code.
And why can the SPL read the u-boot.img in the next step?

Things must be setup to a certain extent or we couldn't have been loaded by ROM, yes. Since am35x parts are a different family from the omap3 boards, I'll double check what the am3517 evm I have says here as well. For correctness however, we currently are turning on the i2c support in SPL and then not using it. So something should be changed :)

--
Tom