+    while (num_err--) {
+        change_bit(0,&err_idx[i]);
+        change_bit(1,&err_idx[i]);
+
+        if (err_idx[i]<   512 * 8) {
+            change_bit(err_idx[i], dat);
+            i++;
+        }
+    }

Is it normal to not count bit flips in the ECC itself?

Correcting bit flip in ECC isn't of any use, so we skipped it.

I think it is useful to report that the bit flip happened, so that the
upper layers know when to scrub the page.

Ok. I'll add the number of bit flips of OOB while reporting the corrected bits.

Otherwise also, the ECC and the data area are not contiguous here as
they are at different parts of RAM so we couldn't have done
     if (err_idx[i]<   (512+13) * 8) {
here.

You could still increment the error count.

Yes.

Thanks
Amit Virdi