On 07/23/2012 04:06 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:
Dear Eric Nelson,

Yea ... I think our community is kinda broken :-(

Hey. We heard that...

Careful what you say on an open mic!

Oh man ... I guess it sounded bad indeed, I should have though about the wording
more, sorry.

I mean, we messed up the management (and I wonder who'll start bashing me for
this one), resulting in the community being misguided sometimes. Making it hard
to learn how to contribute too (too many rules etc). Custodians being
overloaded, warding people off because the review takes too long ... stuff like
that is what I meant.

So we have too much to improve, yet too less time to do that.

Ad community, there's a lot of people obviously, who contribute regularly (of
course, such as yourself for example). But I wonder if there's enough of us to
maintain such a big codebase we have. Besides, people care about linux a lot
more than about uboot, pushing many more of the maintaining tasks on custodians.
Or maybe it's the structure that doesn't work well enough to handle the flow.
Honestly, I'm getting lost in it myself.

Hi Marek,

I think you misunderstood. I was smiling and laughing when I shot you that note.

All of this discussion about process is welcome and positive, and from where
I stand, things ain't that broken...

U-Boot has a tremendous amount of value to a lot of folks, including those that
don't always chime in or feed back.

Those of you that focus on it every day deserve kudos.

Regards,

Eric