On 09/20/2012 10:22:21 AM, Timur Tabi wrote:
Gerlando Falauto wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> following up Timur's patch on QE microcode:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=u-boot&m=132197537730440&w=2
>
> I was wondering, would it make any sense to *embed* QE's firmware within
> u-boot image itself?

There are three problems:

1) A lot of U-Boot images are already very close to the 512KB limit. We often have to disable features in U-Boot to get it to build properly. An
additional 64KB would be prohibitive.

The 512K limit is arbitrary and can be changed. It exists just to provide a stable start address on something that grows from the end of flash.

2) The firmware license is not exactly GPL-compatible. The firmware files themselves are freely distributable, but the source code is closed. I'm
not sure how that would work in a GPL U-Boot.

3) For Fman, at least, we often update the firmware after the board ships, which means you would need to update U-Boot to get a new firmware. So no one might actually use this feature because they're afraid they won't be
able to update the firmware.

If you can do it, go ahead. I would approve a patch that adds the ability to inject a firmware binary into u-boot.bin, provided it's controlled via
a build or CONFIG_SYS_xxx option.

CONFIG_xxx. CONFIG_SYS_xxx options are supposed to describe hardware, and CONFIG_xxx options are supposed to be software config.

-Scott