I'm trying to stuff a variable with a string, then use it with INPUT so that
the user sees, and has the option to accept (by pressing ENTER at the start
of the field) this default string I've put in the variable. For example:

A.STRING = 'HELLO WORLD'
INPUT @(00,02) A.STRING

This works fine, except the '@' form of input sends an escape sequence to my
terminal that obliterates any attributes I want for the field, such as
inverse or bold.

However, if I dump the @(00,02) and use

A.STRING = 'HELLO WORLD'
PRINT @(00,02):
INPUT A.STRING

...my inverse/bold attribute stays, but my 'HELLO WORLD' string does not
appear in the input area! It appears that using INPUT without the '@'
actually converts A.STRING to an empty string before prompting the user.

Is it possible to get both features? Actually, I know it is because we run a
3rd party app that does it, but I can't see inside it.
http://www.u2ug.org/listinfo/u2-users