BCI doesn't offer quite as tight an integration as that. What it gives you is the ability to read and write to SQL data sources from within UniBasic. For instance, we have a table that exists in MySQL, but we need to access the data from UniData (and for the moment we don't have time to change the user interface to support interfacing with UniData -- besides it made a good test case). Anyway, we were able to execute SQL queries against the external database from within a program. In your case, you might want to write a program that updates a local file with data from the SQL table. Then you can use all your familiar Retrieve logic (I-types, etc.)

HTH,
David Beahm

Kris Stevens wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Here is a followup question, to verify I am asking my question clearly.

What I am trying to do is:

List  MYLocalFILE  where MyRemoteKey = "X" MyRemoteData

where the MyLocalfile is a local unidata mv file. MyRemoteKey is a dict item that references the remote SQL table on the
network.
MyRemoteData is a dict item that returns the value from the remote SQL
table.

The clients would not have any software installed, just the server only.

Would this need to be done in a datatel subroutine?

Thanks!

Kris Stevens

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of David Beahm Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 1:44 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [U2] Get External Sql Data Dynamically

Yes, BCI is the tool. If you're on Unix, you also need to have an ODBC manager. Being on 64-bit HP-UX (which makes it hard to find compatible OTS software), we ended up using EasySoft's ODBC-ODBC bridge (they made a custom port to HP-UX for us), which is working great.

Best,
David Beahm

Tom Firl wrote:

Take a look at BCI... this is the U2 feature that provides ODBC client

functionality. I personally haven't used it, but several readers of this group have...

Tom Firl
Columbia Ultimate