<"...but still, aren't there any mv-type systems that can bring this
"<guarantee" to the table?"
<ABSOLUTELY!
<That is why I said up front, that the comment was not about Oracle/PICK/U2.
<It was a general comment.
<It has more to do with what is out in the field and generally being used.
<For instance, if there is an Oracle application out there that has been
<tested and certified for some type of particular use, that doesn't mean that
<a U2/PICK can't be as good or better. It just means that the Oracle
<application has already been through the process and may have that as the
<advantage.
<I'm sure that someone on this discussion list can chime in on the popular
<package for colleges/universities (Benefactor?). I'm sure it was considered
<a 'safe' choice during the buying process because so many others in the
<industry were using it. It didn't mean that another application/database
<wasn't as good, it just meant that this was field tested, readily accepted,
<and didn't need as much scrutiny. It just makes it a harder sell.

I am working with Datatels Benefactor. It was so nice to get back to a MV
DB after leaving AREV and moving to Oracle consulting to TVA, OPGN, SPRINT
PCS,
SBC IS and H&R BLOCK FA. Would ya believe the luck, these folks are a
community college right in my own back yard in beautiful Charleston, SC! No
more Monday out -
Friday back commutes for me!

I am on familiar ground with Unidata, though not at the level of the posters
on this list. I am just
a humble self taught (well, some MFG school for MAPCON) ex-AREV'er who mucks
through fixing, cleaning and tweakin' the apps when asked.

The big move now is to take the existing app and merge it with Oracle, SQL or
leave it in
Unidata. The R18 release will allow the users to choose which database they
wish. The code
will stay in envision and talk via a middle level translator which passes
instructions out to
the selected db. We have been a Beta for the Oracle instance and it seems to
work ok (meaning
no more bugs than you would suspect for any other Enterprise app.) Datatel
recognized the
need to compete and has fashioned a solution which they think will keep them
positioned
in the marketplace.

I still will be able to develop solutions using their Tool Kit, Envision, so
training is not a big
issue. I think the effort they are expending on this is the kind of response
that other companies
in the same predicament might consider to stay viable in the 21st century. I
believe had they
not chosen this path, competitors with less name recognition, but with more
'current' technology
would have begun to steal their market. This was borne out by the grumbling at
the user group
conferences. Now at least, the users are willing to see what they come up with
for the future.
Though not what you would consider a 'developer' I have enough experience
working with SQL
to know I much prefer writing code in UniBasic (RevBasic?) then PLSQL or doing
interminable
joins when I could be building simple Symbolics.

(NOTE: I am a true believer in MV, but realize the reality of what many are
saying on this thread
(going to Oracle because that's what everyone else is doing........ etc))
Just my .00000001 cents
worth (.000000085 Canadian?  lol)

For more on their solutions visit www.datatel.com

OH and whatever happened to BTrieve? or the NLM's?

James (Jim) Yeatrakas
Application Analyst
Trident Technical College, Charleston, SC
(843) 574-6634, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.u2ug.org/listinfo/u2-users