>From: Claus Derlien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Hi,
>
> We are now one step closer to enter production with our new linux server
> running rh8.0 on a siemens rx300 with 2 gig ram, today we opened up for a
> limited number of users, so they can abuse the system the way only a user
> can :-)
Claus,

We're running UD so I can't help you on the uv stuff but a couple of general RH points
that effect U2 sites...

1.  If you are using telnet clients to connect you may need to up the number of telnet
connections allowed..

Include the following in  /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
instances       = UNLIMITED
Although you can set instances to a sensible value - by default this is 60.

2.  Watch your max open files across the system.

You can see what this is with
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

This will give you 3 numbers (e.g.)
1000 150 8192
The 1st and 3rd are the critical - if the 1st gets close to the third you will get
file open errors.  The 1st is roughly how many files have been opened at any one point
and the 3rd is the max allowed for the entire system.
You will also get the 3rd number if you do
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max

Add a line like
fs.file-max = 65536
to /etc/sysctl.conf and then run sysctl -p to update on the fly.  Note for tweaking
you can just do something like echo 65536 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max but this won't
survive a reboot.

Regards,

Adrian