From: Tony Gravagno [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 11:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [U2] IBM positioning Linux against Microsoft

Whenever I propose that people take their existing apps, do some
marketing,
and make a go of it in the mainstream world, the conversation often
turns
toward "but we need more tools".  People want the magic silver bullet
that
will make their procedural code into event-driven, their green screens
into
GUI, and their MV data structures into relational tables.  While
integration
with DB2 and other technologies is a good idea, my focus is on the
wealth of
business rules that already exist and are fully usable right where they
are.

The silver bullet will never come, so people must decide if they are in
business to grow, or if they only want to stay in business long enough
retire.  IBM is sitting on assets (you guys and your apps) that can be
posititioned now against mainstream offerings if people are actually
willing
to compete at the feature level rather than at the asthetic level.  I
understand that Joe Businessman has an average IQ of 23 but "it has to
be
GUI" is not a valid business position.  All of us know that a green
screen
enables people to be much more productive than a GUI - GUI has had long
enough to hang itself and to prove that "pretty" is neither fast, nor
does
it imply functional.  MV resellers need to stop coming up with excuses
why
their technology won't sell and putting it on someone else to develop
the
"whatever it is" they need to move forward.  If GUI is the only thing
stopping an app from going mainstream then there are tools in our market
address that issue.  I'll be happy to help people migrate their apps to
GUI
and integrate with GUI technologies if that's what it takes, but "GUI"
cannot be the strategy, "GUI" is one tactical step among many.  IBM has
solid positioning for those other tactical steps that VARs need to take
in
order to get their apps out there.  That is all I'm suggesting - that
IBM
should use its business strength to market and popularize MV technology
and
business apps, not that they should continue with years of development
make these apps look like everything else out there.  This is a business
initiative, not a technical one.  I think Joe Businessman may be ready
for
that.

Tony
Nebula R&D