This was discussed a long time ago from what I remember and there are
(freeware) ssh shells that you can put on the server and client that
will therefore encrypt the data (using putty if memory serves me
correct).You set sbclient to point to the local ssh client which
connected to ssh on the server which connected to telnet on the server
via local host. It did work but was a bit fiddly.
SSH has been on the roadmap for a longtime - its in unidata and would be
put in the next version of universe. I'm sure it was touted to be in
version 10.1 but this was probably over a year ago and goalposts
move.....

Accounts can be locked down with ntfs permissions on the server so your
developer would not have access to the payroll accounts.

Andy