-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gyle Iverson
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 3:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [U2] [UV] WHILE READNEXT id DO

Ray Wurlod opined:
>Personally, I love this syntax.  When training others, I
>usually explain it in this form; READNEXT has to generate a
>true/untrue value of some kind to determine whether to go down
>its THEN or ELSE path.  We take advantage of that "Boolean
>context" to trigger the behaviour of WHERE or UNTIL in a
>looping context.
>
>READNEXT is not the only statement that exhibits this
>behaviour.  Almost any statement that has THEN/ELSE can use
>it.  But READNEXT, READSEQ/READBLK are the most "sensible".
[snip]
>It would be nice were there a section in the BASIC manual
>about the Boolean context of certain statements, but that's
>only a minor complaint.  Of course, each statement syntax that
>appears to make at least one of THEN or ELSE mandatory would
>need a note referring to this section.

Hello, Ray.

We can agree that the syntax has a certain appeal, yet finding a practical
use for such has always escaped me in real applications for anything but
READNEXT. Why? The syntax precludes handling of ON ERROR or LOCKED clauses.

Never mind that the READNEXT, READSEQ and READBLK statements should [but do
not] have an ON ERROR clauses. After all, files may be damaged or networks
may be interrupted. I assume your "sensible" reference would not be so if
these statements should later support such a clause.

Writing robust, recoverable, error-tolerant code precludes taking the
approach that a file I/O statement may have only a THEN or ELSE condition.
Perhaps if there were a structured exception mechanism within BASIC one
could safely use such syntax, but I discourage its use for anything but
simple one-time utility programs.

Best regards,
Gyle