Yeah. The specific code is:

if(key.len>1 && *key.text == '*' && !STRchr((*cmd),' '))

Its the STRchr that mucks things up, basically saying "and no spaces in the command string".

Oh bother!
At 02:35 PM 7/9/2004, you wrote:
Oh, joy.  It's a stupidity that Prime gave us, & Vmark preserved.
(don't know about UD.)

A line that begins with a "*" is a comment - if it also has a space in
it somwhere after the "*"..

A line that begins with a "*" and has no spaces after the "*" is treated
like a globally catalogued program.

Note, just to make it complicateder, either comment or catlogued programs can have _leading_ spaces, i.e., spaces before the "*", which is the first non-space character. Try typing " *TEST" and " *TEST HELLO" to see what I mean, George.

The other side of your problem is if you have, say, 10 lines of a
paragraph that you want to comment out do  c//* /10    with a space.
not c//*/10
Cuz if you have a one-word line, it will suddenly be interpretted as a
globally catalogued  program.

(Got any documentation you want me to write? Didn't think so.)

CDS