Thanks for the tips, Colin.  I've added them to my collection of goodies.

Great point, too, about making sure nobody has the file open before deleting its
index.  Not sure if the docs have been updated, but they didn't used to warn you about
this.  So thinking it was safe, somebody here ran DELETE-INDEX <filename> ALL on a
production file and everyone who had the file OPENed by their UniBasic program was
blown out of the affected Unidata session.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/03/04 1:58 PM >>>
I think your assumption may be incorrect. I recently restored some indexes
into an account where the files weren't "defined" as having an index and it
caused some problems.

However, it is easy to trick UD with a bogus index. I just copy another X_
file and rename it. If one doesn't exist I simply create an index on another
(small) file, copy and rename it, and then delete both with the ALL keyword.
Works like a charm. Of course, I make sure nobody will be trying to update
the file while I'm doing it - just in case.

I think I've even copied over a "data" file and renamed it before doing the
DELETE-INDEX filename ALL.

--
Colin Alfke
Calgary, Alberta Canada

"Just because something isn't broken doesn't mean that you can't fix it"

Stu Pickles