Thanks for all your help. I'm making some head way on my EVAL formatting looks like OCONV or ICONV is going to do the trick.

To those that think I should write an I-desc, I would, the problem is that I can't. I don't have the privileges. I'm an end user trying my best at using the tools presented to me. Plus my data needs vary so much I don't want to clutter up the dictionaries with a zillion odd I-desc that I would have to ask our overly taxed IT department to create.

To RayW or anyone else who knows:
Tell me more about this AS function in relation to EVAL. I couldn't find it in the Uniquery or Unibasic help. Anything would be helpful.

Still learning,
Kevin