-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Glen B
Sent: 26 August 2004 17:00
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [U2] [UV] Anti-virus recommendations for Universe on
Windows?

 I'd prefer the entire file to be scanned every time. You never know if
virus is slowly plugging its bits into a file. A diff check on a file
will
not detect a known virus signature. The signature would be spread all
over
the file. Look at the B1  virus. It destroys FAT partitions by taking
its
time and deleting a link here and there. Nothing major to start with,
until
your files start to blow up one by one. :P

 A well programmed scanner with heuristic analysis can blaze through a
200MB
file. "Most virus scanners" is a harsh term, considering I've seen
100-200%+
performance difference in scanning with 3 or 4 different scanners
checking
the same files. Every virus scanner has a focal point. Some focus on
run-time checking, while another may focus on batch scanning or protocol
sniffing. I've yet to find one that does it all extremely well and
doesn't
interfere with performance on a regular basis. F-PROT is about the best,
overall, for all platforms. AVG is a great well-rounded tool for
Windows.
Panda isn't bad, but I still feel it's over marketed for what's really
there. I remember them badgering me @ Comdex `99, every time I walked by
their booth. Maybe I'm biased now? Sophos is OK, but it's popular enough
be a direct virus target. Does Sophos have integrity measures, to assure
its
own files can't be changed? I don't know how many times I've had to
re-install Norton AV due to direct infection. I'm sure there are some
other
scanners that I haven't road-tested. For the most part, I'm happy with
AVG
on Windows and don't wanna look any further at the moment. If I was
running
X-windows, I'd have F-PROT running. After all, it was one of the first
scanners and they have it down to a science now. I had the free version
running on DOS 6.22 for my BBS back in the early 90's. Scary eh?

Glen
http://picksource.com

Matthews