Seems like every pick programmer has written their own TCL replacement :-)
Mine is at:

http://www.pickwiki.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TclStack

Though it seems like a lot of trouble if the only problem is ".S" leaving
null items in the VOC.  Wouldn't a cron job, or something in the login
script that checks for and removes the entry be easier?

Ian