In a message dated 9/4/2004 10:49:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Not to start a deviated thread, but the value of '9' on 002 begs some
> opinions. Technically, the '9' on 002 contributes nothing to 008 as 008 gets
> all of its info by itself. Therefore what's on 002 is ambiguous.
>
> I've seen systems where *all* multi-field correlatives (this example
> excluded) have 002=0. I've also seen others where they are some high number
> like 99.

Harvey Rodstein used to teach that putting a large number in field 2 actually
slowed the processing down.  He said that the system actually uses that
number to determine where to put it's temporary results as its processing.  So the
larger the number, the further away it has to store some data from other data,
at least temporarily.  Once the processing of the select statement is
finished then this temp space is cleaned up of course.  His point was just that it
slowed it down while it was processing.
   I can't remember if I checked whether that was true or not
Will