-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Doug Dumitru
Sent: 16 September 2004 07:16 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [U2] ANNOUNCEMENT: Commercial MultiValue Database released as Open
Source under GPL

I am pleased to announce the creation of the first operational, production
MultiValue database environment released as Open Source software.

This new package is based on the commercial MultiValue database QM,
developed by Ladybridge Systems in the UK.

   About QM

     * Originally developed for in-house use at Ladybridge in 1995
     * Released as a stand-along database engine in 2001
     * Not beta code.  Full production code with real users.
     * Complete MultiValue environment
         * Basic comiler and run-time
         * Query language with dictionaries
         * MultiValue filesystem with dynamic files
         * external C/VP API
         * Update triggers
         * User defined functions

Announcing OpenQM

OpenQM is an open-source fork of QM with all features intact.  OpenQM is
being released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) allowing for full
access to source code and free use for all applications that are compatible
with the GPL license.  For applications that need other license terms,
commercial licenses are also available at a cost that is 15-20% that of
similar sized U2 systems.

Call for Developers

Most of OpenQM is implemented in BASIC.  Even internal functions such as the
Basic debugger, TCL, and line INPUT are implemented in BASIC.
Almost the entire system can be extended in BASIC.  If you are a MultiValue
developer and want to get "under the hood" of a remarkable platform, we want
to here from you.  Join the 'openqm-devel' mailing list at:

Call for Users

Take control of your MultiValue destiny.  Control costs.  Help build a
community.  While the open-source version of QM is not quite available yet,
you can get a demo copy of the existing QM software to start working with
right now.  The release for Linux is only a 460K download with a seperate,
much larger, download for documentation and the client API code.

Come Visit Us

While still pretty new, we are working hard on building an internet presence
for OpenQM.  Come to our welcome page (which has a bunch of
links)

   http://openqm.sourceforge.net