-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12:08:42 PM 09/21/2004 --
 It's illegal to send UBE (unsolicited bulk e-mail) here in the states, but
that doesn't stop people from finding loopholes in the FCC regs or spoofing
source addresses and IPs. If the post office didn't track where mail came
from/went, you could put any return address on an envelope and no one would
ever know it wasn't accurate. Heck, you might still be able to do that in
some cities.
The US post office doesn't track the return address on US mail, it tracks which post
office it was processed in. You can put *anything* as the return address on a piece of
mail. Look at the anthrax, mail fraud, and other cases.

Considering one of my US credit card companies preprints *their* address as the return
address on my payment remittance envelopes is proof enough that it's not illegal, it's
widespread.

--
Donald Verhagen
Application Development Manager