We have recently upgraded to v10.1 and are reconsidering the use of triggers
after encountering significant issues with triggers with v9.4.  After
successfully testing them in our development  environment, we encountered
random write failures in production.

Has anyone experience with triggers at both version levels?  If so, is the use
of triggers on non-SQL files, which is now possible, more robust and more
efficient than on SQL files in 9.4?

It has been suggested that we use indexes instead of triggers in the following
way

1.  Create an I-descriptor on a file that calls a subroutine
2.  Create the subroutine to always return a null value
3.  Index the I -descriptor with the no-null option

Any time a write is made to the file from any program including the editor,
Universe will attempt to update the Index.  However  the index will not be
updated as the returned value is always null.  In the meantime the subroutine
called to evaluate the value is free to do what we wanted the trigger to do.

This apparently was common before triggers became available.  Has anyone had
experience with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mel Maresh
NextiraOne LLC