Most of the Aerospace and government agencies we deal with regularly are
using web portals now for procurement and supply chain management. EDI/VAN
is disappearing, as more large companies put their funds together to get out
of their EDI sink holes. The costs of VANs, and operating an EDI
infrastructure now, are a lot higher than before. That's mostly because so
many people are moving off VANs, in favor of e-mail or web based
EDI-friendly gateways. The portals are many times more intuitive and
organized than EDI could ever be. In many cases, the move to web portals
means less employee requirements and therefore layoffs. That is good or bad,
depending on which side of the fence your sitting. However; EDI
conversations are still in use, but the methods of the past are
disappearing. We've looked into hooking up with EDI, but most of our large
customers still use Sterling Commerce as their VAN. We don't have enough
margin to pay Sterling, even with the small byte transmissions we'd probably
be using. So, we do more business(and can offer better prices in general) to
those who participate in a non-EDI required setting.

Glen
http://picksource.com