Thanks Kathleen, I too have written many programs that behave as expected.
Were you able to phantom a mergelist in Unidata Pick flavor with system
builder? I think it's that combination which is the problem.

The code and output were listed in the original post, I'll leave them in.

Within the basic program I have tried both

UDTEXECUTE "PARTSLISTS"
and
EXECUTE "PARTSLISTS"
And
PERFORM "PARTSLIST"

This is something I've managed to do on many different systems and currently
have an open ticket with IBM (There was an old Unidata problem with
mergelists with similar message) but it appears that unless one of the
internals wizards on the list picks up the gauntlet it will remain a
mystery. I suspect there is a mystery UDTOPTION$(45345) which would correct
the problem.