-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ray Wurlod
Sent: Friday, 29 October 2004 3:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] PORT.STATUS MFILE.HIST documentation?

It's covered in the IBM course (UV905) UniVerse Theory and Practice,
which is the replacement for UniVerse Internals.  (See
http://www-306.ibm.com/services/learning/ites.wss/us/en?pageType=course_
description&courseCode=UV905)

Don't have a copy with me at the moment.  From memory you're on the
right track.  The MF functions are the low-level functions that work
with the rotating file pool.  MFcheck determines whether an "open" file
is currently in or out of the pool, and often returns having determined
that the file's "in".  MFclose, MFfree and MFopen you can probably guess
after that!  (Note that MFfree is usually called from MFopen.)

The DB... functions are the higher-level, or logical, functions invoked
by the UniVerse file manager.  For any file that's not guaranteed a file
unit, it's always necessary to go via the rotating file pool.

Use the FILEMAP option of PORT.STATUS to map file names to FileNo and
Chan.