Thanks Bill and everyone for their ideas.

Some more clarification and information...

We have a generic wrapper around all reports, both basic and ad hoc
universe query.

One of the options (besides PRINTING the report) is that the user can
choose to 'capture' the output and a wintegrate script is executed which
turns on capture to a file  (running in NO.PAGE mode).  Once the report
is captured, they might use the report for excel or word or notepad
editing.

I would like to retain at least the first page's heading because it
contains the column names and other information that may be useful for
the report such as date ranges, report title, as of date, etc.

If I do not change the page depth from 60, I get an undesirable page
header every 60 lines which means the user has to manually remove them.
By changing the page depth to zero in D3, one was able to get the first
page headings, but there was never a second page so the report 'data'
continued all the way to the end (without page breaks).

What I have done for Universe is to set the maximum of 32767 for a page
depth, but for some reports there is a chance that the data may exceed
this line count.  In addition, we have a few basic programs that do a
'page' command that forces a new heading and we end up with almost
32,000 blank lines before the next page heading because universe is
essentially filling out the prior page with CRLF for the remaining line
count.

The only work around that I've come up with (conceptually so far) is to
create a hold file (via (P) printing the job), trim out the blank lines
before form feeds, turn on capture, and then PRINT the &HOLD& file text
to winteg, and then turn off capture.   (I already do a similar process
for normally printed laserjet reports to eliminate the leading form feed
on all of our print jobs which saves a ton of blank page paper.)

I was just hoping there was some undocumented "ASSIGN 1 TO SYSTEM(magic
number)" thing that fixed this. Or any other ideas that would work??
Thanks!

-Troy