With one exception, I agree with Charlie. Just because the hardware speeds allow us to write crap doesn't mean we should. There is, of course, a limit to cycle-tweaking. I am not going to spend my time looking for the fastest way to prepend a floating dollar sign, for example. If I have a case of a large number of transactions triggering secondary reads (code file lookup, for example), I will certain take a few minutes to 'ask the system' if a dynamic array cache with locate would be worthwhile.

The exception I mention is "done once in the development cycle." What was efficient at release x may not be efficient at release y. Thus I am a big proponent of constant refactoring.

--

Regards,

Clif

W. Clifton Oliver, CCP
CLIFTON OLIVER & ASSOCIATES
Tel: +1 619 460 5678    Web: www.oliver.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Just because we have a quadrillion microseconds to play with, instead of a 50 millisecond timeslice, doesn't mean we have to waste them. A few moments to consider performance, done once in the development cycle, will pay benefits every time a more efficient program is run. I have to believe that Adm Grace Hopper is smiling down on you both.

Regards,
Charlie Noah