Al DeWitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 19 Nov 2004 17:59:16 -0600

> UniData 6.0.12 // SB+ 5.2.4
>
> I have a basic program that originally ran on a line printer
> to print preprinted forms.  I am converting it to print on a
> laser.  I'm having problem with line creep.

Others have made some good suggestions - one other thing to check.  On our
system, the SB+ Printer Class Definitions are set to 65 lines, but on the
physical printer, the page length is set to 66 lines.  This was recommended
by our VAR, and I never really got a good explanation as to why, but it
does work.

Also, if you're printing from BASIC, I recommend printing CHAR(12): to
start a new page, rather than relying on a fixed number of lines per page.
My standard code looks a bit like this:

NEWPAGE:
  IF PAGE.CTR = 0 THEN PRINTER ON ELSE PRINT CHAR(12):
  PAGE.CTR += 1
  PRINT <report header>:SPACE(<as needed>):"Page ":PAGE.CTR
  RETURN

I use a LINE.CTR to track the number of lines printed, and check for a page
break where needed.  This also allows me to keep multiple line data
together where necessary.  For example, on our invoices, the Product
Description appears on the line below the Product Number.  If there's only
one line available on the current page, I start a new one.

Hope this helps.

--Tom Pellitieri
  Century Equipment
  Toledo, Ohio