In fact if you want a software application environment that includes unix in
any flavor or has the option of including such -- linux, Mac OS X, or
anything other than strictly Windows, you will not want to go .NET (at least
not yet, and I suspect not for a long time).  From my perspective, .NET is
for those who have completely married themselves to Microsoft and plan to
continue that marriage for better or worse.

The unfortunate thing is that it is not (yet) really easy to write
small-to-midsize quality applications using Java.  That's why many have
opted for scripting languages such as Perl, PHP, and Python for web-based
solutions.

When everything is from a single-vendor (Microsoft), you at least have
(knock on wood) compatibility and Microsoft has also done well, from what I
hear, in making nice development environments. The other side of the house
(Java, for example) is not so well coordinated, but that is where I'm
spending my efforts none-the-less.  It will get there.

--dawn

Dawn M. Wolthuis
Tincat Group, Inc.
www.tincat-group.com