Tony:

[stuff snipped]

> Brian's comment about intepreted code wasn't lost on me and I need to
> consider it - I confess I've never done that.  Putting some logic at a
> middle tier, not necessarily at the DBMS server, also has advantages.  At
> the risk of yet more bandwidth, but not consuming licenses, many basic
> validation rules can be exposed as client-independent web services.  That
> approximates that interpreted layer, makes changes virtually
> instantaneous,
> and eliminates deployment issues.

Goes to show you what we'll do for cost considerations.  Introducing another
tier seems like madness, unless it's cheaper.  :-)

That's why it sometimes looks like the main MV providers aren't really
interested in exposing the dbms model to the mainstream.  In IBM's case,
they probably just want to kill the product, eventually, because growing the
product competes with their other product(s).  In RDUS's case, they probably
just want to squeeze it for what they can because "they" believe it'll die
by itself.  Not sure about jBase though.  Maybe if they can sell it to China
they'll reach a critical mass that'll support a migration from D3 and U2.
What a bizarre thought.  :-)

Bill