I did something similar for one of my clients.

Again this used RTF with merge fields, then had a VB program sitting on a PC
spooling documents by controlling Word as an automation source. The program
used a UniObjects connection to poll for new documents to print and for the
name of the destination printer from a control file, and then pushed each
one out in order.
It was a simple way to do it.

Brian