I am experiencing some strange behavior on our Linux machine.  We have been
running on this machine since October.  I am just getting into some file
cleanup, year end rolls, etc..  What is happening is that the machine comes
down to a crawl.

We were on DG/UX and this kind of thing never happened on that platform.  I
could 'roll' files, etc and I never experienced anything like this.

Linux itself seems to be moving along fine.  Anything in Universe takes
almost 1/2 minute to get any response.

Without the purge/cleanup programs running, everything is just peachy.

The files are all Dynamic.  The programs are doing readu/delete, write.
That is read a record and write it to a history file and delete from current
file.  Or read a record, move this years data to last years fields and write
the record back out.

Anybody experience this sort of thing ?  Anyway to tweak things up ?  I have
an idea that the files might not be 'sized' correctly.  I also remember that
Universe on DG/UX was tweaked specfically for that OS.  So, maybe it was
just more efficient at doing this kind of thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Anthony