Hi,

I had pretty much done everything that you have already suggested prior
to posting here.  My next move is to look at MFILES, our's is set to
200.
Providing your MFILES number is less than the os per process limit of
open files

Does anyone know how to check the os per process limit of open files on
a W2K box or does anyone know how to determine the total file units
opened in an application running in a phantom ?

thx,

rudy

<<Hi Rudy,

this is a real mystery then.

<Donning deer stalker hat and smoking pipe>

We had a problem once with the number of open files in the rotating file
pool getting confused. As you probably know, you can open many more
files in a Universe program then the os allows. Universe will only keep
open, at the os level, the number of files specified by the MFILES
config parameter, closing and opening files as needed. Providing your
MFILES number is less than the os per process limit of open files,
theoretically there should be no problem. However, we had a program that
occasionally would fall over with a write failure when writing to a
particular file...>>

Rudy Cooper

Sage Publications

I.T Development