> Let me add that dictionaries should be under source control.

Definitely.

And worth a couple of tips:

1. Script the dictionaries

I write little scripts that contain file definitions in a source-like form,
for example:

BEGIN TABLE PARTS
  SUBJECT "Parts List"
  FIELD DESCRIPTION FNO 1 LEN 20
  FIELD PRICE FNO 2 CURRENCY
  FIELD STOCK FNO 3 NUMBER
  FIELD STOCK_VALUE EXPR \PRICE * STOCK\ CURRENCY
  (etc)
END TABLE

I then have a simple little parser that builds the dictionaries and include
files from these scripts.

The advantage is that I can store and version the scripts along with the
rest of my source code, so that the file layout effectively becomes part of
the overall source. It is a lot easier than controlling individual
dictionary items.

2. Use reporting dictionaries.

Set up reporting accounts with local dictionaries and pointers to live data
files. Then you can give people a set of dictionaries (populated using the
scripts) to play around with safely without messing up the live system.

Brian