That's the way we're currently testing it, uvbackup & uvrestore, but it adds some additional delays in that the IRIX system is configured rather, um, funkily, and those bits need to be recreated after the system is in place on the new box. Also, unfortunately, we've got a good bit of data & programming (about 6 GB total although I assume quite a lot of it is cruft, but we're unlikely to do any massive cleanup before the transfer) and only a single 10mb NIC in the IRIX box, so I'm exploring options for anything to goose the process even a little.

Any particular reason you're leery of replicating, is it this particular suituation or replication in general?

Rsync, that's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of, thanks very much for your input, I'll definitely be trying that out shortly.

Don Kibbey wrote:
Upgrade via replication sounds like a receipe for lots of "wailing and
knashing of teeth". Have a look at uvbackup and uvrestore. Or read
up on rsync as a means to get the data from one machine to another. If it were me, I think I'd do a uvbackup to a network mounted
filesystem (samba or nfs) and then do a uvrestore from that disk to
the final location.

Doing a test conversion would allow you to get an idea of how long it
will take and should uncover any hidden gotchas in moving from Irix to
Linux.

--
Peter Ivanick
Sr. Programmer/Analyst