You can do it with a Universe SQL table (Make MV values unique, that is).

In traditional UV tables, however, you are correct. The uniqueness in this case is a combination of the primary key and the MV position.

I would also guess that the person in question was referring to multivalues since traditional MV tables (or Universe anyway) have no concept of a controlling attribute (or primary key) of an association.

Craig Bennett wrote:

David,

I just came out of a meeting where it was stated that MV databases allow
non-unique keys.

perhaps the person was refering to multivalues?

If you were modelling parents and children in an SQL database you might use a PARENTS table and a CHILDREN table. Usually neither table would allow duplicate keys.

In MV you might have a PARENTS file which had a multivalued attribute CHILDREN. (I don't think) there is a way to make the database enforce a rule which makes all the children of a parent unique, except using triggers.

Craig
---

---