-----Original Message-----
From:  Piers Angliss

A very long numeric string will do this, see sample code below:

0001: ARRAY = '12345'  ;* Just so array has a value
0002: VAR = STR('1',512)
0003: IF VAR MATCHES "0N" THEN PRINT 'Numeric'
0004: DUM = ARRAY<VAR>
0005: END

>RUN BP T2
Numeric
Program "T2": Line 4, Nonnumeric data when numeric required.  Zero used.

It passes the pattern match because each digit is numeric, it fails the
numeric test because it is too big to handle.
Note 512 is just a guess, I don't know what the actual limit is - it
worked with around 60 !

You say this is a menu processor, perhaps one of your users rested a
book / pad on a numeric key and generated the necessary huge string of
numbers ?

hth

Piers