I have a file that has thousands of keys that start with an A. There is
an index on the key. When I try and do a search for any items that start
with say A12 and I type in A12... the search does not return what I
expect and takes a long time because Unidata thinks it is doing a
Alphanumeric search.
Is there a way to get the results I expect?

This email message and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of addressed recipient(s). If you have
received this email in error please notify the Spotless IS Support
Centre (61 3 9269 7555) immediately who will advise further action.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses.

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have
delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or
distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. We have taken
precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we
advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this
message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software
viruses.