-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Stevenson,
Charles
Sent: 23 March 2005 04:30
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] [UV] Distributed SELECTs for distributed (Type27)
files

From: Maresh, Mel
Subject: RE: [U2] [UV] Distributed SELECTs for distributed (Type30)
files
                                                                ^^
                                                            Type27

> I colleague wrote and used the following code to select from a
> specific distributed file, the GL.DETAIL file.  He loved it, but
> the system administrator has forbidden him from using it because
> it's such a resources hog.

a resource hog, huh?  Hmmm.
Thanks for the code example.  I think I'd write it as a self-contained
verb rather than writing temporary procs.  The verb would have 2 modes,
one for controlling the distributed select, the other mode for doing the
individual selects on partfiles.

In other words:
[S]SELDIST GL.DETAIL WITH POST.DATE = "3/22"

Program would notice GL.DETAIL was distributed and spawn the multiple
phantoms:

 PHANTOM [S]SELDIST GL.DETAIL_[partno] WITH POST.DATE = "3/22"

then collect the results when phantoms are done.  (JOBS and NOTIFY
commands will probably prove useful.)

When SELDIST executes as a phantom, it would notice that it is dealing
with a partfile, do the [s]select and save the list for its parent pid.
I think I'd use the parent pid to control uniqueness.

Assuming I do it at all.

cds

The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the
use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the
intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this
message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by replying to this
email or by telephone +44 (0)20 7896 0011 and then delete the email and any
copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc.) that do not relate to the official
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it.  IG Markets Limited and IG Index Plc are authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and, in Australia, by the Australian Securities
and Investments Commission.