-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike Dallaire
Sent: Wednesday, 13 April 2005 8:48 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] [UV] ACOS problem (floating point numbers)

Adrian,
ACOS is the inverse value of COS.  At any point when COS equates to 0,
ACOS will be undefined, as it would be 1/0.  When calculating distances
(assuming east-west being your x axis and north-south being your y
axis), COS would always be 0 when there is no east or west vector
involved (the distance traveled east or west is 0, or the sum of the
vectors is 0, depending upon your calculation) Adding the null character
may fool the processor into not seeing the value as 0, I am not sure.
However, anytime you are using trigonometric functions you need to take
into account values where they can be undefined.  SIN and COS are the
only functions defined for all values, IIRC.
HTH,
Mike