Hi Dean

I have gone through a number of detailed sessions with Microsoft on issues
of Piracy and Microsoft regards improper licensing of database licenses in
the same light as running one version of Word on multiple PCs.  In my
estimation there are probably more companies who have run into trouble with
Microsoft over misuse of database license that misuse of Office licenses.

Please don't shoot the messenger I am only passing on what I am aware of
licensing legalities.  The complexities of licensing has to be studied very
carefully and is dependent on databases, licensing agreements and methods of
use.  It is not to say a situation is right or wrong it is a question if it
fits the licensing agreement.   Unfortunately many people feel that if
something is technically possible, then it is legally possible which is not
the case.

Your examples if you have 500 staff requesting reports from 2 IT people who
do the processing then it is obvious 2 users license.

Your example of Web Services is difficult.  If the database has named
licensing then everyone who accesses the database requires a license or you
purchase a license per processor.  With U2 the licensing is concurrent and
the licensing is according to demand. Ie if 100 users could access the
system at the same time then you would need a 100 licenses.  However if you
use a 3rd party product to process the 100 users through 10 licenses then
you could fall foul of licensing issues.  The other area that may expose you
to license issues if you use persistence then you may cross the line again.

This is not as simple and clear cut as many may think and it does fall under
strict copyright laws.

Regards

David Jordan